The Round House
The Roundhouse is also known as Newport Town Hall and was built by the Duke of Northumberland in 1829 to house the stump of the market cross. Newport still elected two Members of Parliament at that time (the election of whom was virtually controlled by the Dukes of Northumberland before the Reform Bill of 1832) and the election results were announced from the Roundhouse.
The building is Grade II Listed. It is a single storey octagonal shaped building with a granite plinth, stucco finished brick walls with four open bays, capped with a moulded cornice and crenellated parapet. The roof is conical and covered with dry slate and has a weather vane.
Internally, the building contains a short dressed granite monolith cross shaft.