Launceston has one of the most active twinning associations in Cornwall as more and more people discover that being entertained in France – or entertaining friends from Brittany – is the perfect way to make lasting friendships and to find out about Breton food, traditions, culture and heritage.
Exchange visits between Launceston and its twin-town of Plestin les Grèves have taken place every year since 1983 and the aim of the Launceston and District Twinning Association is simply to foster friendships between the citizens of the two towns.
You don’t even have to speak French – half the fun is finding out how easy it is to communicate without advanced language skills! And there are usually friends on hand to translate.
Twinning is also a good way to make new friends locally because there is on-going and enjoyable activity as twinners raise funds to host their French visitors through barbecues, treasure hunts, safari suppers, quizzes… and serving crêpes and coffee at various events.
The Twinning Association welcomes new members of all ages – be they young families, pensioners or people on their own. If you are interested in joining the Twinning Association and would like more information, chairman Jill Whitechurch (telephone 01840 261781) or secretary Jenny Birkett (01566 777978) would like to hear from you.
Wanted – good homes for new Plestin twinners!
Have you ever thought about getting involved with the local Twinning Association? Launceston is twinned with Plestin-Les-Greves in France. Nine new families hope to visit Launceston with the Plestin exchange in April and although some hosts have been found, more ‘homes’ till need to be found. If you enjoy good company, eating & drinking, and exploring new cultures then contact Jenny Worth at firstname.lastname@example.org and get involved!
Margaret joined the experience a few years ago and had this to say: “We didn’t know what to expect, our French was from schooldays and we were worried about what they would like to eat and to do, but we decided that it was only for a weekend and if we didn’t like them or the twinning experience, we had nothing to lose. Seven years later and Francoise and Jean Yves are our very good friends. As well as the regular exchange visits, we have explored lots of Brittany with them and been guests at their son’s wedding near Paris. This year we will be seeing them twice in the UK – in April for the twinning exchange and then in August when we’ll be spending ten days together touring Scotland.”
Families seeking accommodation
- Couple (40) + 2 children (8 & 12), hobbies: football and running practice, the kitchen, crafts, card games, evenings with friends
- Couple (45) + 1 girl (12), hobbies: walking, nature and garden; daughter: video games, reading and writing
- Couple (50) interests: renovating farmhouse, sheep, making cider, pommeau and eau de vie, walking by the sea, reading, playing cards, have a collie & a cat, and own little motor boat
- Couple (60)
- Couple (45-50), hobbies: hiking, the sea, nature, garden, music and meeting people (Speaks good English)
- Single lady (40) would like host of similar age. Enjoys good living, partying, music, sport, walking (Speaks English perfectly)